Pressing Issues in 2021 in Total Rewards
Our March Global Total Rewards Network Virtual Roundtable discussion brought together Total Rewards Leaders to provide updates on their current thinking around their pressing issues. Topics included return to office plans and the impact of vaccine availability, voluntary programs, and hybrid work models.
Thank you to members from Cofra Holding, Colfax, Comcast, GE, Mastercard, MetLife, and Novartis for your participation in our virtual roundtable discussion.
Member-Led Discussion – Key Takeaways
Global Total Rewards Network members appreciated the opportunity to share and talk through these issues with their peers. Here are some of the takeaways:
- The majority of organizations are focusing their efforts on educating and encouraging vaccinations rather than mandating them. But depending on the industry and role of the employee, vaccinations may be required for some, particularly those in client-facing roles.
- Many companies have decided to track vaccinations on a voluntary basis. This will provide them with a better estimate of the number of vaccinated employees. They can then use that data in making decisions such as the level of restrictions required when returning to office. However, the ability to track and trace varies greatly by geographical location.
- Although a vaccinated population does make the office environment safer, what does that mean for requirements such as social distancing and mask wearing? HR leaders should emphasize that there is still a lot we do not know and remaining vigilant is key.
- Some countries have already implemented a statutory requirement for organizations to provide a home office allowance. However, participants agreed a broader allowance that covers more than just the home office would be better aligned with flexible offerings.
- Given the current and expected business impacts of the pandemic, some questions were raised around the experience of utilizing voluntary programs to adjust staffing levels.
- While organizations consider their hybrid work models, many questions arise including how to be inclusive for roles that must be in office, how to manage employees who have moved to another state or country during the pandemic, and how to maintain engagement when teams are split in office and at home.
Thank you to all who participated for your energy and enthusiasm! We look forward to continuing the conversation!
If your team is dealing with similar issues or have questions you’d like answered please fill out the form below!